Dr. John Kerrigan
Chair, Scholarships and Academic Awards Committee
One of Sigma Tau Delta’s key purposes is to “confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature.” As the chair of the Scholarship Committee, I feel fortunate to participate in this central mission of our organization in a special way by recognizing the contributions of outstanding members who apply for scholarships and academic awards.
Some quick facts:
- Sigma Tau Delta inducts over 9,000 students each year; less than 3% apply for scholarships
- Some scholarships may receive only 5 or 10 applications this year
- Only 200 students applied last fall
- 26 students were recognized with scholarships and awards ranging from $1,000 to $5,000
- $56,000 in total scholarships was awarded to members of Sigma Tau Delta last year
Scholarship winners are typically dedicated leaders in their local chapters. They are students with fine academic records who are often quite active outside the classroom, who write articulately and respond to the application’s prompts thoughtfully; and who take time to proofread their application materials fully, carefully, and effectively. Scholarships are available for:
- Undergraduate students in their junior or senior year
- Graduate students
- Part-time students (NEW!)
- Students who will be full-time teachers next fall
- Students in a study abroad program during the 2013 calendar year
- Students who have presented a scholarly paper at a non-Sigma Tau Delta conference
- Alumni who have joined the Alumni Epsilon Chapter
Just about every student member probably meets the minimum requirements to apply for at least one of the scholarships we offer. Students must be nominated by their chapter to apply; chapters are able to nominate up to three members for each scholarship
1. Familiarize yourself with the scholarship guidelines.
2. Get started with the STARS Online application system, which will ask a few questions to direct you toward all of the scholarships for which you are eligible.
On behalf of the Scholarship Committee, I sincerely hope you will consider applying. We look forward to receiving and reviewing your applications.